Thursday, January 30, 2014

My First Post

Hi girls,

I drew this picture today and decided to post it. I want to preface this by saying that I am not very good at drawing. Mostly because I don't have much patience to sit down and do it. :) Plus I just don't have the natural talent as much as some people do. I do enjoy it from time to time, though. That said I probably won't post to much, but I am glad that I am able to sometimes.

Let me tell you a little bit about this picture. It is a drawing of a character from a series of books I have been reading called the Queen's Thief series, named Irene. She is the queen of a country called Attolia and this has made her a different person than she would have been otherwise. It is like she has this mask that is the cruel absolute ruler that her country needs to stay together and not break into civil war, but inside she really hates being cruel and wants to be kind. So I was trying to capture this moment where she is trying to change underneath the mask. Someone who loves her is trying to help her change and she is trying to show that she is trying to change. Someone just said something amusing to try to show love to her and she has one eyebrow raised and her lips almost in a smile, but not quite.

I would love some constructive criticism on this drawing. I think I made the eyes to small, but I liked the shape of them so I didn't try to redo them. I am not sure how to do eyelashes so any ideas on that? My sister Bethany (who is a lot better at drawing then I am) showed me how to do the raised eyebrow. I hadn't done it very well at first and she helped me change it. If you have any pointers on that or any other part of the drawing that could improve it please let me know. I didn't do any shading as I don't know how to do that very well, but all in all I think I captured a little bit of how I imagine this character so I am pretty happy with it.

Thanks!
Michaela


5 comments:

  1. way better then me! but as your best Friend can you expect criticism? ok here we go!
    - no criticism it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can TOTALLY see the suppressed smile. That's so cool that you could draw such a complicated expression so perfectly. People are definitely the hardest things to draw. I also love how you drew the braid. It looks real! I don't think that the eyes are too small! It's great! I am so glad you're going to be drawing for this blog!

    >>----> Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. great michaela! (I really need to get my dad to show me how to scan my pictures so i can put them on here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That braid is SO cool! I love it! I don't exactly draw braids... :)

    ReplyDelete